Mid Autmun Festival is upon us, and although it’s not a massive celebration, it’s quite hard to miss, with big bright boxes of mooncakes filling the entrance of most Asian grocery stores for months in the lead up.
Chocolate Biscuit Pudding Recipe
100g chocolate chips
80g butter, at room temperature
70g Marie Biscuits (I used half a packet)
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup whipping cream
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup almonds
2 tsp instant coffee (optional)
1/2 tbsp Rum (optional)
1/2 tsp Vanilla
Pinch of salt
1. Place chocolate in heat-proof bowl and microwave in 20 minute intervals, stirring in between. Continue until melted. Combine instant coffee, run, vanilla and 2 tablespoons of hot water then slowly add into the chocolate mixture. Stir in the butter. Set aside.
2. Place egg whites, the salt, and 1 tablespoon of the sugar in a bowl. Beat on high speed until firm but not dry.
3. Place the egg yolks and the rest of the sugar in a bowl. Beat on high speed until pale yellow. Add the chocolate mixture then fold until combined. Fold the egg whites into the mixture.
4. Beat the whipping cream until soft peaks form. Fold the whipped cream into the chocolate mixture.
5. [Optional] Baked almonds at 180degC for 7 minutes. Coursely chop the nuts.
6. Soak the biscuits in milk slightly. Layer a bottom of each pot with a biscuit. Next layer with chocolate mixture (about 1/2 inch high). Sprinkle with almonds. Follow with another layer of soaked biscuits and then the chocolate mixture and cashew nuts. Continue layering until all of the chocolate mixture is over. Make sure that the top layer is chocolate mixture and cashew nuts.
Chill for at least 2 hours