So apparently 2017 was the year of the Buddha bowl.
I’m not one to stay on trend, so I’m a little late getting on this bandwagon. But I’m loving bowls at the moment. Poké bowls, Buddha bowls, nourish bowls (to a lesser extent, smoothie bowls), you name it! Because hey, it means that eating colourful veggies is finally cool!
One of my faves, though perhaps not the most photogenic, is the Green Breakfast Bowl. The one that you no doubt would have seen on countless café menus. And probably didn’t choose because it’s nowhere near as photogenic as the overly sweet syrup soaked French Toast that’s on everyone else’s Insta.
But looks aside, this one leaves you a heck or a lot more satisfied!
And because it’s essentially just a pile of veggies topped with poached eggs, it’s great to put together as a simple, healthy meal at home. Or as a quick make-ahead meal option for work lunches. Just like my Roasted Vegetable Salad, it’s a simple matter of popping some veggies in the oven to cook. Kale serves as the base for this bowl, but if you’re not too keen on kale, this could easily be swapped out for broccoli or salad leaves. I also deviated from the green by added pumpkin and mushroom. So it’s really up to you how much you want to stick to the green theme!
What you will need to complete the dish is an awesome dressing to bring it altogether, and boy do I have the perfect one for you! Inspired by the Green Salad Bowl I had at Moss Bros earlier last year, I’ve paired my Green Breakfast Bowl with a light miso dressing. Now I’ve had miso dressing insalad many a time before. But I’ve got to say, nothing goes with the miso dressing quite as well as this veggie combo does!
Perhaps it’s the slight bitterness of the kale that marries well with the umami of the miso. Or it’s because the curliness of the kale allows it to cling onto the dressing better. Regardless, it’s a match made in heaven. And since green veggies are in season right now, there’s no doubt that this one will be making regular appearances on my lunch menu over the next couple of months!
Did you know that adding a squeeze of lemon juice to your salad helps your body to absorb the iron in your veggies?
And of course, the recipe:
- 1 head of kale
- 1/4 Jap Pumpkin sliced
- 4 Portobello mushrooms
- 1 bunch asparagus, chopped
- 2 Tablespoons Olive oil
- Sea Salt
- 1/2 Avocado
- 4 eggs, poached
- 4 slices sourdough, toasted, to serve
- 1 1/2 tablespoons miso paste
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 1/4 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger (optional)
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lime juice
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame seeds
- Preheat the oven to 220°C (200°C fan-forced). Line two large oven trays with baking paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, massage 1 tbsp oil into the leaves of the kale. Set aside.
- Arrange pumpkin and mushrooms one tray. Brush with remaining oil; sprinkle with sea salt. Roast for 25-30 minutes or until tender and golden.
- Roast asparagus and kale on separate tray for 10 minutes until asparagus is tender.
- Arrange veggies in a bowl, then top with avocado and poached egg. Drizzle miso dressing on top and sprinkle with some sesame seed and chilli. Serve with toasted sourdough.
- Whisk miso paste into rice vinegar in a bowl until smooth. Stir honey, ginger, sesame oil, lime juice, and sesame seeds into the vinegar mixture.