One thing I think that people don’t realise about dietitians is that we really love food.
We love food, we love to eat and when we throw a party, you can be sure there’ll be great food- and no, it’s not all salads. That said, there are always plenty of veggie filled options- enough inspiration for weeks worth of lunch ideas- and this is where I came across this amazing brown salad rice recipe.
I had my first taste at a birthday lunch for one of my supervisors during my first couple of weeks as a student on clinical placement, and though the table was filled with delicious choices, this brown rice salad was easily the crowd favourite- almost everyone asked for the recipe!
It’s pretty much the only recipe that comes up when you search brown rice salad on Google, and though it might not seem all that flash when you scan through the recipe itself, just read the comments and you’ll know it is a winner.
It’s not a very veggie heavy salad, but it’s the perfect combination of fresh juicy capsicum, crunchy nuts & seeds, sweet sultanas, fresh tangy lemon juice and just enough brown rice to give it sustenance. These pictures don’t do it any justice, my own fault as I had kept the dressing separate to add when serving, but given that the only leafy greens in this salad is the parsley, you can actually add in the dressing well ahead of time.
That’s alright, I’ll retake the photos next time I make the salad- and given how successful it was, I don’t think it will be in the too distant future!
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1/2 cup of currants
- 6 spring onions, sliced
- 1 red capsicum, diced
- 2 tablespoons pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
- 2 tablespoons sunflower seeds
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- 1/2 cup roasted cashews
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/4 cup of olive or sunflower oil
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- Cook the brown rice in your preferred method (mine is rice cooker), then cool completely.
- Heat fry pan and spray a light coat of oil onto the surface. When the pan is hot, add in the pepitas, sunflower seeds and pine nuts. Keep stirring otherwise they will burn. When they brown up immediately remove from pan onto some absorbent paper to cool.
- Mix the lemon juice, oil, soy sauce and garlic in a salad dressing container .Set aside.
- Combine the capsicum, parsley, spring onions and currants in a large salad. Stir through brown rice. Add the toasted seed mix and the cashews.
- Slowly drizzle the dressing over the salad and stir through.
- Note that you may not require all the dressing so add half, stir and taste before adding more.