I don’t bake brownies often, since I’m not a huge fan, and on the odd occasion that I do, I’m one of those rare strange people who prefer to make them cakey more than fudgy since that’s the preference of everyone in the family. On this occasion though, I managed to convince myself to attempt the fudgy version after seeing picture after picture of rich, gooey chocolatey brownies all over blogs and pinterest with beautiful cracked tops (they are rather photogenic!).
You’d be forgiven for thinking that I once again made my cakey brownies by the texture in these photos, and for that I blame partly on the recipe and partly on my photography but believe me when I say that these were a lot more fudgy than they look! That said, they’re of course they’re nothing like the rich gooey ones food porn ones you see, they’re more of an in-between type but it was fun to make something different.
Not that it changed my family’s preference for cakey brownies though 🙂
Chocolate Brownies recipe
Recipe from Woolworths Good Taste Magazine
125g butter, chopped
200g (1 cup, firmly packed) soft brown sugar
125g dark chocolate, chopped
50g (1/3 cup) plain flour
35g (1/3 cup) cocoa powder
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
150g (1 1/4 cup) walnuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease an 18 x 28cm cake tin with the melted butter or margarine and line the base of the pan with non-stick baking paper.
- Place butter, brown sugar and chocolate in a large saucepan and stir over medium heat until well combined (see microwave tip).
- Remove from heat and beat in the eggs using a wooden spoon.
- Sift together the flour, cocoa and baking powder into the chocolate mixture and stir until well combined. Stir in the walnuts.
- Pour into the prepared tin and bake in the preheated oven for 35-40 minutes or until firm and until a few crumbs cling to a skewer when it’s inserted into the centre.