In Dessert, Recipe on
October 21, 2011

Strawberry Ice Cream

IMG_7599

The first time I made ice cream was about 5 years ago, when I browsed upon the “shakey shakey ice cream’ recipe on the abckids website which looked really fun to make. The idea was basically this-  mix a couple of ingredients (basically just milk and sugar), put them into a ziplock bag, and then put that bag into a bigger ziplock bag filled with ice and shake until it becomes ice cream. Fun right?

Unfortunately, the ‘ice cream’ tasted like sweetened frozen milk more than ice cream and did not freeze completely, so it ended up in the bin and that was the last time I attempted to make my own ice cream again! We actually have an ice cream maker at home (and we’ve had it for quite a long time!) but my dad is usually the one who makes ice cream. Not that we have homemade ice cream often- the last time he ever made any ice cream was at least 5 years ago!!

IMG_760x

With the warmer weather approaching, and the many tempting ice cream recipes I’ve seen on blogs, I thought it was about time I got the ice cream machine back out for a churn. I used a simple custard based recipe from a cookbook I’ve had on my shelf  for a while, added some strawberries to the mixture (it’s our favourite homemade ice cream flavour so far!). It was actually surprisingly fun to watch the mixture slowly solidifying as it touched the edges of the freezer bowl and turning into ice cream. And almost impossible to resist sticking my finger in!!

Before long, I had a tub of delicious and creamy ice cream! The texture was softer and creamier than what I remember of my dad’s non-custard based ice cream. I especially loved the fresh strawberry taste which was nothing like the fake strawberry flavoured ice creams you get at the supermarket (I don’t like strawberry ‘flavoured’ things). And needless to say, it was quite addictive- just ask my sister, she couldn’t get enough of it! Now I know what I’ll be up to this summer πŸ˜‰

IMG_7615

Strawberry Ice Cream Recipe

Recipe adapted from Delicious Ice Cream

300ml milk
1 vanilla pod
4 large egg yolks
115g caster sugar
250g fresh strawberries
2 tablespoons lemon juice
300ml double cream

1. Pour the milk into a large heavy-based saucepan. Split open the vanilla pod and scrape out the seeds into the milk, then add the whole vanilla pod too. bring almost to boil, then remove from heat and leave to infuse for 30 minutes.
2. Put the egg yolks and sugar in a bowl and whisk together until pale and mixture leaves a trail when the whisk is lifted. Remove the vanilla pod from the milk, then slowly add the milk into the egg mixture, stirring all the time with a wooden spoon. Strain the mixture into the rinsed-out saucepan or a double boiler and cook over a low heat for 10-15 minutes, stirring all the time, until the mixture thickens enough to coat the back of a spoon. Do not allow the mixture to boil or it will curdle. Remove the custard from the heat and leave to cool for at least 1 hour, stirring from time to time to prevent a skin from forming.
3. Meanwhile, puree the strawberries with a blender or by pushing them through a sieve. Stir into the custard mixture with the lemon juice.
4. Whip the cream until it holds its shape.
5. If using an ice cream machine, fold the whipped cream into the cold custard, then churn the mixture in the machine following the manufacturers instructions. Alternatively, freeze the custard in a freezer container, uncovered, for 1-2 hours, or until it begins to set around the edges. Turn the custard into a bowl and stir with a fork or beat in a food processor until smooth. Fold in the whipped cream. Return to the freezer and freeze for a further 2-3 hours, or until firm or required. Cover the container with a lid for storing.

* I also added a little bit of alcohol (rum) into the mixture with the strawberries because I read somewhere that alcohol makes ice cream smoother.

This post is linked to Foodie FridayI’ve submitted this recipe to the Power of pink challenge πŸ™‚

shaky shaky ice cream!!! we make them all the time during summer at my place. my sister and i take turns in shaking it so it always froze πŸ˜€ making it with juice is better than milk ones though.

looking forward to your ice cream recipes while i eat supermarket ones hehe

October 21, 2011 at 11:32 AM Reply
  • yummychunklet

Even though it's cold here, that ice cream still looks delicious!

October 21, 2011 at 12:38 PM Reply
  • Christine@Christine's Recipes

Shakey shakey ice cream sounds fun. But for tasting, surely love the traditional way of making ice-cream.
    Your picture said it all.

October 21, 2011 at 12:53 PM Reply
  • Steph

this look yum!!! πŸ˜€ and yeah i don't like strawberry flavoured stuff either hahah πŸ™‚

October 21, 2011 at 1:17 PM Reply
  • wendyywy @ Table for 2..... or more

My fav is strawberry ice cream too!
    Don't really fancy chocolate ice cream that most people do.

October 21, 2011 at 3:35 PM Reply
  • pikaNat0r

Von! I luffles your ice-cream pictures – you always take such awesome pictures of the food! πŸ˜€
    I haz ice-cream too but they can never look as pro as yours x)

October 22, 2011 at 2:32 AM Reply
  • Mary

haha that's actually the first time I've heard of shakey shakey icecream…guess I was just content eating homebrand neopolitan icecream during childhood.

your strawberry icecream looks delicious though πŸ™‚

October 22, 2011 at 4:41 AM Reply
  • Dolly

yum.. that icecream would be perfect for todays weather!!!

October 22, 2011 at 6:01 AM Reply
  • Renata

I totally agree with you, I don't like fake strawberry flavor either, nor its artificial pink color. Real strawberry icecream is much more appealing to me. Your ice cream is perfect! I will bookmark this recipe for when strawberries hit the markets again here.

October 22, 2011 at 1:02 PM Reply
  • Amelia's De-ssert

hi Von,thanks for leaving a lovely comment in my blog. Your ice cream looks delicious, yum yum. Loves your picture too beautiful click.

October 22, 2011 at 2:13 PM Reply
  • TasteHongKong

The temperature just started to cool down a bit here, but I know it is hard to resist having a scoop of such creamy-looking ice cream.

October 22, 2011 at 3:59 PM Reply
  • Cheap Ethnic Eatz

Homemade really strawberry ice cream is the best! Funny I have not done it yet though but had it at others homes. Watch not to hurt your finger as you sneak a taste while churning!

October 22, 2011 at 4:03 PM Reply
  • Cooking Gallery

Ice cream is one thing that I still need to try to make at home… Yours looks really delicious!

October 22, 2011 at 4:07 PM Reply
  • Foodiva

Von, reading your post reminds me that I haven't made ice cram in such a long time (well, months instead of years)! Freshly made strawberry ice-cream is the quintessential summer flavor and yours look great. Last time I made this flavor, I paired it with fennel and dates and it was mind-blowing! If you want to try it, the recipe's on my blog ;-).

October 23, 2011 at 12:13 AM Reply
  • Amy

Your homemade ice cream looks and sounds delicious. Love you 1st attempt on making ice cream, although not quite successful but I'm sure it was fun! πŸ™‚

October 23, 2011 at 6:15 AM Reply
  • Rita

Great photo; strawberry ice cream is my favourite; thanks for the visit.
    Rita

October 23, 2011 at 10:20 AM Reply
  • DV

Looks Delicious! Slurp πŸ™‚ I wanna make homemade ice creams too!!

Your blog is very interesting …You baking section is huge and as someone who has just started to bake, I will definitely be taking your tips/tricks and trying your recipes! I'm eying on the Mango pancake and choco beet cake now πŸ˜›

October 23, 2011 at 2:43 PM Reply
  • Julie

Looks delish! My son would think it's genious πŸ™‚

October 23, 2011 at 3:48 PM Reply
  • Jen

This looks great! You should submit this for my Power of Pink Challenge

October 23, 2011 at 4:32 PM Reply
  • Rebecca from Chow and Chatter

this looks perfect and you have the weather for it now πŸ™‚

October 23, 2011 at 5:50 PM Reply
  • Nic@diningwithastud

Haha Ive never heard of the shaky shaky icecream before?
    I use to have a little machine that did it when I was about 6 but then it broke πŸ™ glad I got myself a new one recently though. Will have to try this πŸ™‚ strawberries are so cheap at the moment, it'd be a crime not to!

October 24, 2011 at 12:43 AM Reply
  • betty

this looks lovely i just got a punnet of strawberries over the weekend i was going to bake but making icecream sounds abit more fun (and also its sooo hot today!)

October 24, 2011 at 3:11 AM Reply
  • Anh

I love the pink color of the ice-cream.

October 24, 2011 at 4:09 AM Reply
  • ping

Shakey shakey ice cream? Interesting! I doubt I'll try that tho, with my klutziness the bag might just break open in the midst of the shaking. I hated strawberry ice cream for a long while too and whatever else that was artificially strawberry flavored … tastes like cough medicine. Eck. Fresh is best! Ice cream looks great!

October 24, 2011 at 8:44 AM Reply
  • tori

When I've got the blues, nothing cheers me up like strawberry ice cream. Just gorgeous.

October 24, 2011 at 12:20 PM Reply
  • lena

i dont really favour strawberry ice cream that much but i must say that your ice cream looks very very good, the colour especially..so natural pink, i like!

October 24, 2011 at 1:46 PM Reply
  • Angie's Recipes

So smooth and creamy! I love strawberry flavoured ice.

October 24, 2011 at 2:05 PM Reply
  • Lizzy

I think you've mastered ice cream now! This looks so creamy and delicious…yum!

October 24, 2011 at 2:38 PM Reply
  • Zoe

Love your PINK ice cream! All natural made with no artificial colouring and flavours. YUM!

October 24, 2011 at 11:29 PM Reply

Your strawberry ice cream looks delicious, beautiful color and texture.
    Hope you have a great week Von πŸ™‚

October 25, 2011 at 12:10 AM Reply
  • Mel

Oh my, I had wanted to make Strawberry Ice Cream for long…. and now you have posted yours. Gonna make this soon. Good to make our own, isn't it?

October 25, 2011 at 1:08 AM Reply
  • Nami | Just One Cookbook

My all time favorite ice cream flavor is strawberry and no doubt about that. I have never made one at home yet, so this will go straight into my to make list. Probably next summer as I put the ice cream maker away… I can't wait to try it already. πŸ˜‰

October 25, 2011 at 7:32 AM Reply
  • Prasetyo

You has a great blog. I'm like and very interesting. Dont forget to visit back my blog and gives us your comment for us. Thanks for share.

October 25, 2011 at 5:35 PM Reply
  • Jennifer (Delicieux)

Looks delicious!!! I love strawberry ice cream, any homemade ice cream for that matter. Since I purchased an ice cream maker we haven't bought ice cream as homemade just tastes so much better.

October 25, 2011 at 10:55 PM Reply
  • Rita (mademoiselle dΓ©licieuse)

Strawberry-flavoured foods never live up to the levels of strawberriness of those containing real strawberries, with flavouring always tasting a little fake (although not as bad as cherry flavouring – shudder!). So, yes, fresh strawberries are best!

October 26, 2011 at 12:25 AM Reply
  • Anna @ The Littlest Anchovy

I am like you, I can't stand that fake strawberry flavouring. But I LOVE natural strawberry flavour. This is just summer right there. Looks divine.

October 26, 2011 at 2:44 AM Reply
  • SavoringTime in the Kitchen

I am so envious of your warm season ahead and there's nothing better to celebrate the season than ice cream. Your first ice cream in a zipper bag made me smile πŸ˜‰ This one turned out great!

October 26, 2011 at 1:33 PM Reply
  • sugarpuffi

alcohol makes icecream smoother? thanks for the tip! the icecream looks delish!

October 27, 2011 at 4:04 AM Reply
  • muppy

looks so deliciious πŸ™‚
    i really really want an ice cream churner!

October 27, 2011 at 4:05 AM Reply
  • JasmyneTea

We broke our ice cream machine πŸ™ But your strawberry icecream looks so silky and smooth!

October 27, 2011 at 10:07 AM Reply
  • Christine

looks perfect for summer! i have my ice cream bowl freezing at this very moment and i'm on the lookout for icecream recipes and this looks super good!

November 3, 2011 at 12:34 PM Reply