In Recipe, Yum Cha on
September 28, 2010

Yum Cha Style Mango Pancakes

Mango season has hit quite early this year- although they’re not exactly at their best yet, there’s always a strong scent of mangoes whenever I venture into a fruit shop. I find this a little weird as I always associate mangoes with December. When I was younger, we used to take boxes of mangoes to Hong Kong for our relatives when we went there just before christmas. Back then, mangoes were at their best just before christmas and we always managed to bring some large, ripe mangoes. But it seems that the mango season is appearing earlier and earlier each year- last year, we only managed to bring a box of small end of season mangoes!

Although I prefer eating mangoes as they are, rather than using them for desserts (as I do with most fruits), my next favourite way to eat mango is in mango pancakes. Yup, the bright yellow ones they wheel around in the dessert trolley at yum cha, always covered tightly in cling wrap with water droplets hanging off the plastic.

I had these for the first time at a yum cha restaurant about 3 years ago, instantly fell in love with them and then realised how simple they were- after all, they’re just a simple mixture of mangoes and whipped cream wrapped in a yellow pancake. But that never stopped me from ordering them everytime I spotted one at a restaurant. Even when it’s in the middle of winter, and you know that they’re using canned mangoes….

So I finally got around to making this yesterday, after seeing the two mangoes which I’d reserved (my sister used the others for mango pudding) starting to rot. I’ve never been able to find a mango pancake recipe on the internet, one of the resons I’ve been putting it off for so long, despite my love for it)so I decided to use a crepe recipe as I thought it’d be similar to the pancake I’ve eaten at yum cha (never mind the fact that I’ve never actually eaten a crepe before…..), tint it yellow and chuck some whipped cream and mango in there =D And you know what?? It worked!!

I accidently made the crepe too thick because I was scared that if it was too thin, it wouldn’t taste like the mango pancakes I had before. And then I think I overcooked it because it wasn’t quite as soft as I’d like it AND I also added too much food colouring so it ended up looking pretty cheap, like those ones at yum cha restaurants which you look at and know that it won’t taste good but you still order cimply because it’s a mango pancake, and you love mango pancake. Or is that just me? Luckily, the mangoes were really good so it didn’t taste like it looked =) Infact, they were heavenly!! The mangoes are really the star of the show here so the slight problems with the crepe weren’t too noticeable. And so these dissappeared in no time!

I know what I’ll be doing with this season’s mangoes!

Mango Pancake Recipe

Yellow Crepe
Recipe From Anatomy of a Wishful Bohemian
Makes ~10 depending on thickness and size of pan

3 eggs
1 cup milk
⅓ cup water
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ cup caster sugar
a few drops of yellow food colouring

1. Put all the ingredients in a bowl in the order listed. Whisk vigorously until blended (about 30 seconds by machine standards). Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl and beat or blend 15 seconds longer.

2. let the batter sit for an hour or longer so the starches can absorb. You can make the batter up to a day in advance and keep it in the refrigerator, just bring it up to room temp before you cook it. It should be the consistency of buttermilk. If it’s lumpy you can strain it.

3. Spray a non stick skillet with a little cooking spray, or brush lightly with a neutral oil and get it hot but not smoking. Remove from heat and pour a little batter in (how much depends on the size of your skillet) and swirl batter evenly around the bottom- try to make this very thin!

4. Return to heat and let cook for 1 to 2 minutes (I used the lowest heat, so it took a lot longer for me- but it meant that the crepes would be smooth!). The thin edges will get crispy and curl up, and the top will mostly set but stay shiny. Flip the crepe around with a spatula (this part is difficult! for me anyways….)

5. Cook the second side for about 30 seconds, then remoce crepe and place it on a clean, dry and preferably light colored dish towel (I put it on a dish…..)

Making the pancake:
300mL cream (I used thickened cream,
but any cream which whips up will do)
icing sugar, to taste
2 small
mangoes, or one large one
around 10 crepes, from the recipe above

1. In a large bowl, whisk the cream until slightly thickened then add icing sugar until it tastes sweet enough, and stiff peaks form. Chill while you get the rest of the ingredients ready.
2. Peel and chip mangoes into long, thin pieces.
3. Place one crepe on a plate (with the nice side down!) and put a heaped tablespoon of whipped cream into the centre. Place a couple of pieces of mango around the whipped cream, then wrap the crepe around it. I do this by folding one side over the cream, then folding both sides inwards, then rolling the whole thing into a cylinder shape.
4. Chill in the fridge for at least an hour (the longer the better) before
serving =)

• Poggy

THAT LOOKS SO GOOODDD =DDDDDD *drooollllsss*

*saves this page*

September 28, 2010 at 12:17 PM Reply
  • Yvonne

Hi Poggy!
    That was SO FAST!! haha…thanks =)

September 28, 2010 at 12:18 PM Reply
  • teenagefoodie

OMG looks just like it. I've been trying to find a recipe for a while =]Can't wait to try it out

September 28, 2010 at 12:45 PM Reply
  • Anncoo

Mmm…really looks so yummy. Never seen mango in canned before but the fresh ones are the best 🙂

September 28, 2010 at 1:47 PM Reply
  • PlumLeaf 李葉

Done a good job there! The photography is good too! ;0)
    How about that mango pudding recipe too? I fancy some of that!

September 28, 2010 at 3:29 PM Reply
  • Cooking Gallery

Oh YUM…!! Those look so good! I always order mango puddings when I am out for a yum cha, next time if I should see something like yours, I would definitely order it too!

September 28, 2010 at 3:50 PM Reply
  • MaryMoh

I love mangoes…only fresh ones. Your mango pancakes look fabulous. I wish I can have a piece now. I saw mangoes at the supermarket this morning but they all looked very green…..haiyah. Wish I am back home….all the juicy sweet mangoes to enjoy.

September 28, 2010 at 6:45 PM Reply
  • SteelCityFlan

I don't know what you're talking about…your crepes look great! I'm scared to try them, though O.O Hopefully this post will give me the confidence, hehe.

September 28, 2010 at 10:17 PM Reply
  • Olivia

hmmm so yummy….

September 29, 2010 at 2:08 AM Reply
  • wendyywy @ Table for 2..... or more

The pancakes look perfect, no pockmarks at all!!
    There are melon, jackfruit and durian filled pancakes here as well.

September 29, 2010 at 3:20 AM Reply

O_O i have never seen this at yumcha before!! never!!

September 29, 2010 at 3:34 AM Reply
  • Chow and Chatter

wow these look great and I bet the flavor is awesome

September 29, 2010 at 3:39 AM Reply
  • lynne

I wish it were mango season here too! Your pancakes sound really yummy! I really want mangoes now >.<

September 29, 2010 at 7:03 AM Reply
  • Adriana @ Bittersweet Baker

Your pancakes look beautiful – I love how smooth and even they are. And mangoes are one of my favorite fruits!

September 29, 2010 at 2:02 PM Reply
  • grace

what a terrific breakfast! brace yourself, though–i've never eaten fresh mango! isn't that tragic!

September 29, 2010 at 2:34 PM Reply
  • Swee San

Hrmm I always see this but i just don't know why I never get myself to eating it… but now I just wanna grab it from the computer's screen..

September 29, 2010 at 5:25 PM Reply
  • Georgia

They looking amazing!I love mango pancakes and have been wanting to make them at home, thanks for the recipe!!

September 30, 2010 at 1:03 AM Reply
  • Ladybird

Oh yum! I <3 mangoes – bring on mango season!!!

September 30, 2010 at 6:39 AM Reply
  • Angie's Recipes

The mango pancakes look fabulous! Excellent photography too.

September 30, 2010 at 6:21 PM Reply
  • tigerfish

You are a star! The mango pancakes look very professionally done.

September 30, 2010 at 11:23 PM Reply
  • Christine@Christine's Recipes

Your mango pancakes look even better than those in yumcha restaurants. Love mangoes and will make more desserts with them in the coming summer.

October 1, 2010 at 11:43 PM Reply
  • Vivienne

Wow – this looks exactly like the ones at yum-cha and so amazing for your first effort! i cant wait for a summer full of mangoes!

October 4, 2010 at 7:54 AM Reply
  • Maria @ Scandi Foodie

They look delicious! I love the yellow colour 🙂

October 4, 2010 at 6:13 PM Reply
  • A Canadian Foodie

Thanks, Von! I subscribed, so we'' see if it works. You will know if you find me back here, regularly. (I have subscribe by e-mail, too)
    Love the unexpected colour on these crepes to make the mango taste more – well, mangoey…
    Ingenious!
    And the cake to your English teacher? Well, that will be the only one ever that she gets! I have got a lot of loving little cards and treats over the years (I teach English, too) but never a cake like that. There is a whole lotta love baked into it, for sure!
    Lucky BOTH of you!
    🙂
    Valerie

October 5, 2010 at 1:15 PM Reply
  • panda

your pancakes look so nice and thin! i've tried making these before but ended up having rather thick and chewy pancakes, will give this recipe a go and hopefully they turn out!

October 6, 2010 at 11:49 AM Reply
  • Wendy @ Obesebaby

oh yay finally find recipe for this yum cha mango crepe thanks

February 22, 2011 at 2:23 AM Reply
  • Martyna@WholesomeCook

HA! I was going to try and make up the recipe for these lovely little beauties but instead I was sent yours… YUUUMM!!!

May 9, 2011 at 11:25 AM Reply
  • Mel

I tried this tonight for dinner… Mango's aren't in season, so I used tinned ones – it turned out FANTASTIC!! My 6 year old told me they were better than the restaurant ones. I have to thank you SO much for sharing with us!! 🙂

July 15, 2011 at 10:26 AM Reply
  • Paul of Brisbane

These pancakes are absolutely delicious especially at King of Kings Chinese restaurant at Fortitude Valley Brisbane.

August 14, 2011 at 3:13 AM Reply
  • Nadia

Awesome recipe I must say. There are not much mango pancake style recipes on the internet and yours was fabulous. I made something different for breakfast too – here is my mango pancake recipe 🙂 http://www.cukzy.com/mango-pancakes/

April 20, 2012 at 12:30 PM Reply
  • Anonymous

I used this recipe and they came out amazing! However I added a touch of vanilla essence in the mix. Thanks so much!

March 18, 2013 at 9:54 AM Reply
  • Angeli Yuson

These mango pancakes look amazing! I love the ones you get from Yum Cha so i am so glad to have found this recipe!

October 24, 2013 at 3:33 AM Reply
  • Anonymous

Wow these are amazing. After moving to the UK I dream about Yum Cha mango pancakes. I just followed your recepie and made a batch of ten for Shrove Tuesday. They are amazing. Thank you so much for bringing these back into my world 🙂

February 9, 2016 at 6:20 PM Reply